Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
MAKES ONE LOAF
Egg yolks and bean flour give this soft-textured bread a light golden color. This recipe makes delicious sandwich bread, rolls and baguettes.
3 cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend
¼ cup milk powder of choice
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages instant dry yeast
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
¼ cup melted butter or extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
1 cup warm water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x4-inch bread pan and sprinkle with cornmeal or rice flour.
2. Mix flour blend, milk powder, xanthan gum and salt in a mixing bowl until well blended. Using the beater/paddle, mix in the yeast.
3. Whisk eggs, vinegar, melted butter, honey and warm water together.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry, mixing on medium speed until everything is well blended. If the batter seems too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
5. Spoon the dough into the prepared pan only half full. Spray the top of the dough with baking spray. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Spray a piece of plastic wrap and loosely cover the bread. Place in a warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes or until the dough reaches a ¼ inch from the top of the pan.
6. Place in preheated oven on the middle rack and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
TIP You can increase the fiber in this recipe without altering the taste by replacing ¼ cup flour blend with ¼ cup coconut flour.
TIP For a slightly crisper crust, add 2 tablespoons cornmeal to the dry ingredients and omit the powdered milk.
To make two baguettes, use a double baguette pan, lined with a double thickness of foil (folded dull side out), lightly oiled and generously sprinkled with cornmeal or rice flour. Make sure the foil is about 3 inches higher than the sides of the pan. Spoon half the batter into each pan. Smooth the tops with the back of an oiled soup spoon. Place dough in a warm, draft-free spot. Loosely cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let the dough rise to the rim of the baguette pans. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 25 minutes. Then slide the loaves out of the pan and continue baking on the middle oven rack for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
To make rolls, spray a muffin tin and dust with cornmeal or rice flour. Fill each cup halfway with dough and loosely cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let dough rise to the top of pan. Bake in preheated over (375 degrees) for 25 minutes.