Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Classic Dark Chocolate Cookies
MAKES 12 COOKIES
Adding unsweetened dark cocoa to vanilla/yellow cake mix transforms the flavor of these cookies to a rich, deep chocolate.
1 recipe Vanilla Soft Cookie batter
2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa
1½ tablespoons hot water
½ teaspoon brewed coffee or instant espresso powder (decaf is fine)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Prepare 1 batch of Vanilla Soft Cookie batter
3. In a separate bowl, mix cocoa with hot water, stirring until no lumps remain and mixture is smooth. Add coffee or espresso to mixture and stir.
4. Stir chocolate mixture into batter until combined.
5. Using a ¼-cup ice cream or cookie scoop, carefully place 6 mounds of batter on each baking sheet, making each one circular in shape (about 2½ to 3 inches across). Using a clean, wet finger, smooth batter and flatten just slightly. Cookies will spread while baking.
6. Place 1 baking sheet at a time on the center rack in preheated oven. Bake about 6 minutes and rotate pan. Bake about 5 to 7 minutes more until a toothpick comes out clean. Repeat with the other baking sheet. Let cookies cool for a minute on the pan. Then carefully remove to a rack to cool.
Each cookie contains 182 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 14g sugars, 1g protein, 20Est GL.