Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Potato and Artichoke Casserole
SERVES 6 TO 8
This tasty dish is cozy comfort food that satisfies hunger and warms up a dinner menu.
2½ pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed,
sliced in half lengthwise
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced in rings
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded,
sliced into thin strips
1 (10-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
¾ cup dairy-free sour cream substitute (or soft
tofu, mashed and combined with 1½ teaspoons
distilled white vinegar)
¾ cup milk of choice (rice, soy, hemp)
1 cup dairy-free Swiss cheese substitute
½ cup gluten-free, dairy-free cracker crumbs (use buttery-type cracker)
Vegetable oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with 2-inch sides with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a Dutch oven or a large pot, bring the potatoes, ½ teaspoon salt and enough water to cover potatoes to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to medium low, cover pot and cook potatoes until they are almost cooked through. Remove from heat and drain well. Arrange potatoes in prepared dish.
3. While potatoes are cooking, sauté in a 10-inch sauté pan the onion, bell pepper and the artichoke hearts in olive oil until they are softened. Pour onion, bell pepper and artichoke hearts over the potatoes. Sprinkle them with ½ teaspoon pepper, thyme, parsley and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
4. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream substitute (or tofu combined with white vinegar) and milk substitute until mixture becomes smooth. Pour this over the potatoes.
5. Bake in 425-degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove dish from oven and sprinkle with cheese substitute and cracker crumbs. Place dish back in oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve.
Each serving contains 378 calories, 12g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 9g protein.
Reprinted with permission from Cooking for Food Allergies Everyday & Gourmet (Family Friendly Publishing, LLC) by Libby Avery, familyallergycooking.com.