Web Only ArticleMay 7, 2014

Gluten-Free 101

Gluten-Free for Everyone

Anne Lee is the nutritional director at Dr. Schär, a gluten-free food product manufacturer located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Anne recently attended the Gluten Free Food Allergy Fest in San Diego, sponsored by Living Without’s Gluten Free & More Magazine. A nutritionist by training, Anne gave a talk that broke down the often overwhelming concepts behind a gluten-free lifestyle, which can seem so overwhelming, particularly for the newly diagnosed.

Her talk addressed the size of the market, the core principal of gluten-free (it’s all about the grains) and offered well-researched data to support the idea of switching to so-called “ancient grains.” Anne also discussed in clear, often humorous terms, how you should deal with restaurant dining and travel.

Anne’s lecture also offered very compelling reasons for incorporating balance in your diet, with an emphasis on colorful vegetables, fruits and fish.

We hope you enjoy Anne’s talk—brought to you by Living Without’s Gluten Free & More Magazine. Watch for information on our upcoming Gluten Free Food Allergy Fest in Indianapolis, IN and Portland, OR. We had a great kickoff in San Diego and we’re looking for a repeat…

Are you new to living gluten-free? Let Living Without's Gluten Free & More be your guide to living well with food allergies. Click here to learn more.

Comments (11)

Have been gluten free (99 percent of the time) since Memorial Day. I have suffered from Rhematoid Arthritis for nearly 15 years. This is the first time since then, that my wrists are NOT swollen and overall inflammation in my body is down! I am a believer...gluten free is the way to live!!!

Posted by: Teachjt | July 23, 2014 8:57 AM    Report this comment

Dominoes has a great gluten free pizza! It is a bit pricier than regular pizza but we love it when craving that Friday night staple...:)

Posted by: Teachjt | July 23, 2014 8:53 AM    Report this comment

i am 60 an recently diagnosed . what types of meats can a person with celiac eat? where can i buy my celiac needs?

Posted by: mamoshea | July 17, 2014 5:06 PM    Report this comment

Hubby started to follow gluten free 4 days ago. Very big challenge. We are ages 68/69! Looking for cookie and pie crust. Also bread recipes. I use a bread machine for dough then shape and raise bake in oven.

Posted by: lovetobake | July 16, 2014 6:57 PM    Report this comment

to-missingwendy I have been on the GF diet for about 2 years and find that I am a lot less bloated and have lost 35 lbs. without trying. With all of the GF foods in the grocery stores and on line, it is very easy to eat this way. Also there are a lot of recipes on line or cookbooks that are aimed at GF cooking. It does get hard if you want to go out to eat, but some of the restaurants in my area of Cleveland, OH are serving GF foods. I guess it depends on just how allergic that you are to gluten as to how you would react of you slipped a little. Good luck to you.

Posted by: Marisol Grace | July 11, 2014 12:39 AM    Report this comment

I am 82 and read an article that gluten can contribute to restless leg syndrome. Left off all flour products that very day, and I had a night of sleep that I badly needed. Have tried several commercial products successfully, but am anxious to have some of my favorite homemade using other ingredients.

Posted by: Mommie Pat | July 10, 2014 3:11 PM    Report this comment

I am absolutely new to this, 61, just diagnosed. All I can say is it is not easy, it takes work, and is frustrating. On the positive side, the many things that are yet to be learned scientifically and clinically will help those in the future. I am a scientist, immunologist. When I leave the lab, late at night, my car is programmed to pull into Wendys, MDs, etc. I have to fight the wheel to stay on the road. But, I am getting better, just got a new car. While I miss good pizza, good hard rusted bread and beer, I am trying. I am curious what the window is, if one screws up, what happens? If you are stringent for a month, you make a mistake, have a regular beer, are you back to square one? Would like to hear opinions, honesty.

Posted by: missingwendy | July 10, 2014 7:58 AM    Report this comment

A quick Internet search will give you lots of great recipes for gluten-free breads and pie crust and just about anything else you might want. Pinterest has a lot too. Just type in GF pie crust or bread or whatever you at looking for. I make a grain-free muffin that is tasty and full of nutrition. Google 5 minute gluten free muffin.

Posted by: Trishfit | June 26, 2014 7:07 PM    Report this comment

I am new to the gluten free world..I would love a good tasty bread recipe and a good pizza crust one too.Some cookie recipes would also be appreciated.

Posted by: butterflymom | June 18, 2014 7:54 PM    Report this comment

I would also love a Good Tasting pie crust recipe. Please!

Posted by: DDT | June 9, 2014 3:53 PM    Report this comment

I am looking for homemade gluten free lo carb recipes for pita bread and tortillas.

Posted by: odietoady | June 6, 2014 10:22 AM    Report this comment

New to Living Without's Gluten Free & More?
Register for Free!