Restaurant Allergen info on Yelp

Restaurant Allergen info on Yelp

Postby James T. Savidge » Tue May 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Sometime during my ‘30s I developed a sensitivity / mild allergy to soy. Luckily it is not life threatening, but I have varying levels of sickness for several hours after I eat if the food contains soy.

I love to eat out, and over the years I’ve developed the courage to ask about ingredients, and I’ve improved my research so that it has become easier for me to find places to eat.

Since I can try out restaurants with out needing to worry that I might have to go to the hospital, I really wanted to pass along what I discovered so that those with severe allergies might be able to eat-out worry free. I originally wanted to put together a website to share what I found with others who also have difficulties with allergens, but I never found the time to do it.

I finally decided to try any post my eating out adventures on Yelp, and I put in the header of each review the hashtag #AllergenInfo. Because of my travel over the past year, I’ve been finding restaurants in Texas, primarily Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. My currently posted reviews can be found on yelp at:

http://jsavidge.yelp.com/

Unfortunately I recently found our that all my reviews have fallen into the filtered category at each of the places I reviewed, so most people may not be seeing them. I suspect that this is because I don’t have many Yelp “friends or followers” yet.

Hopefully if more people start using the hashtag like I am, or some people start officially following my reviews, they might get moved out of the filtered category.

If if they don’t, hopefully people here can take advantage of what I’ve found if they travel to Texas.

Please note that I was recently scolded by the staff at Yelp when I tried to put up “reviews” of places where all I could say is that because of allergen’s in a place’s ingredients, I couldn’t eat there. Those reviews were taken down, but I have submitted a request to find out if it is OK to share this type of info via their “Quick Tips“ feature. (As of yet I have heard back from them on that.)

Hopefully what I’ve found can benefit others with allergens and sensitivities, and I welcome any advice to help spread the word about this.

James T. Savidge, Tuesday, May 29, 2012
> James T. Savidge