fructose malabsorbtion

fructose malabsorbtion

Postby MamaDeck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac last September, her pains continued and she is now also diagnosed with fructose malabsorption. Any one have this combination? We are struggling to find foods to keep her satisfied (when her pain subsides and she finally gets hungry) - she is on a very limited diet - we are new to this and struggling to figure out what she can have. Thanks!
> MamaDeck

Re: fructose malabsorbtion

Postby Elgie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 am

MamaDeck, I saw some recipes at the University of Iowa website
http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/medicaldepartments/foodandnutrition/dfi/recipes.html

which appear to be appropriate for fructose malabsorbtion. These might give you a good place to start and at least some ideas. You will, of course, want to substitute a gluten-free flour blend wherever flour is used and be alert for any hidden sources of gluten. I assume you are working with a registered dietition? If so, ask about stevia and Lakanto. You may be able to use them in recipes instead of sugar, but I'm not sure.
> Elgie

Re: fructose malabsorbtion

Postby MamaDeck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks elgie, I will check out the website - i am working with a dietician, just hoping for additional input, apparently not many people, especially children have been diagnosed with this - so even the dieticians/nutritionists are struggling with helping us. Also, Stevia is not good, high in fructose , I'll have to check out the other one you mentioned.
Thanks!
> MamaDeck

sucrase deficiency

Postby lrbsmommy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello,

I understand your dilemma with the fructose malabsorption. My daughter was recently diagnosed with a sucrase deficiency (CSID) - so while she can manage fructose, she lacks the enzyme to process sucrose. What complicates the diagnosis is that she is also allergic to dairy - to the point that we now have an epi-pen. It's been so stressful and upsetting to get to this diagnosis, and now that we have it, I feel more lost than ever! It is so hard to feed her a completely dairy AND sugar free diet. Virtually everything processed has to be eliminated. There are so many things that are gluten free now, but very hard to find things that are BOTH sugar and dairy free. I'm so frustrated. Especially since she is 20 months old and only weighs 20 pounds. She has not gained significant weight since she was weaned at 12 months. Any suggestions would be welcome!
> lrbsmommy