Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns

Back by popular demand, this recipe is a delicious gluten-free version of the classic yeast rolls enjoyed during the Easter season. It can be made dairy free and egg free with good results. Icing drizzled across the top in an X is traditional, representing the cross.

Read the Full Article

Explore our rich collection of content by joining the discussion about particular articles here.

Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns

Postby ByGrace » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:04 pm

I just made these and they are beautiful. Could anyone help me with one problem I had with the recipe? I found the batter to be too soupy (more like cake batter) to be formed. Instead, I opted to put them into a muffin tin which made 8 muffins. The results were great, however, they were a little difficult to remove. I greased the tins with coconut oil, also, let the muffins sit for 10 min. after baking, but they were still difficult to remove. Any suggestions? Thanks!
> ByGrace

Re: Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns

Postby janlamb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:23 pm

I used only 3/4 cup warm water, then used an ice cream scoop (the kind that has the little arm to push it out) that had been dipped in corn starch. They came out nicely. Don't even bother putting the batter out on a cookie sheet. This made 12 nice sized buns in a 9X13 pan. I hope this helps.
> janlamb

Re: Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns

Postby suealtop@gmail.com » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 am

I made these yesterday and the flavor and texture was awesome. However, like I have read here with the others, the dough was soupy and sticky. I just kept adding the protein flour until it was barely manageable and put it in the pan to raise. Is there a mistake in the recipe or is this what is to be expected with gluten free dough? Anyone know that answer? Thanks, Sue
> suealtop@gmail.com