No More Corn

My son is gluten free, dairy free and corn free. How can I frost his birthday cake if I can't use powdered sugar? And he only likes vanilla frosting!

Read the Full Article

Explore our rich collection of content by joining the discussion about particular articles here.

No More Corn

Postby Lilys Mom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:04 pm

My daughter has a corn allergy and I grind sugar in a coffee grinder until it is a powder. That's how I make frosting. You really have your hands full with gluten and dairy issues too. My daughter has wheat intolerance and I know how tricky that is.
> Lilys Mom

Re: No More Corn

Postby Jenny » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I have been using Trader Joe's Organic Powdered Sugar (it comes in a bag) which contains tapioca starch instead of corn starch. You might want to consider using that for your son.
> Jenny

Re: No More Corn

Postby jilldg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Powdered Sugar uses organic tapioca starch (or cornstarch) is sold online at www.navanfoods.com.

You can also find it at Whole Foods just be sure to double check in the ingredients as WF gets a version with corn too.

Tastes the same. I did notice a change in consistency of the frosting. The kind with tapioca starch is a little looser. This can be overcome by letting the frosting sit for 10-20 minutes before using.
> jilldg